BROOKSVILLE The Dwelling Place, The Rise of the Phoenix: Healing of Abuse, Sept. 29-Oct. 2. A retreat for those who have experienced physical, sexual or emotional abuse. Cost is $180. Details: 662-738-5348
GREENVILLE St. Joseph Parish, “Following Christ Journey, a seven-week class on Tuesdays, Sept. 27-Nov. 15, from 6:30 – 8 p.m. in the parish hall.
MADISON St. Francis of Assisi Parish, mission, Oct. 3-4 at 6:30 p.m. Theme will be “Mary, Our Mother.”
– Seven-week series, “Discovering Christ,” Thursdays until Oct. 27, from 6:30 – 9 p.m. Includes a retreat on Saturday, Oct. 15. Free child care will be provided for children up to age 12. Details: stfrancismadisonchristlife.org or the parish office, 601-856-5556.
NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, 24-week Bible Timeline series, a journey from Genesis to the Book of Revelation, Sundays at 8:30 a.m. in the Family Life Center. Details: Karen Verucchi, 601-870-5388.
PARISH, SCHOOL & FAMILY EVENTS
AMORY CHANGE Amory yard sale, Friday-Saturday, Sept. 30-Oct. 1, at the Hwy 25 entrance to the Amory Golf Club. See Sister Mary Chris Fellerhoff if you have yard sale items to donate for the sale. Read the flyers and sign-up sheets at the entrance to the church.
BATESVILLE St. Mary Parish, rummage sale, Saturday, Oct. 8, beginning at 7 a.m. in the parish center. Donations can be taken to the parish center.
CAMDEN Sacred Heart Parish, annual Harvest Festival, Saturday, Oct. 1, from 8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Activities include music, games, a talent show, and a flea market. Details: Linda McMurtry, 601-951-9226.
CLARKSDALE – St. Elizabeth Parish fair, Tuesday, Sept. 20. Volunteers needed. The spaghetti dinner will begin at 6 p.m. Details: Lisa Chicorelli, 662-645-0398.
CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories Parish, volunteers needed to help built a Habitat House, Saturday, Oct. 8. Details: parish office, 662-846-6273.
COLUMBUS “Celebrating the life and art of Eugenia Summer,” a member of Annunciation Parish for 70 years. Art exhibit until Sept. 29, reception on Thursday, Sept. 29, from 5:30 – 7 p.m. at Mississippi University for Women Gallery. Free and open to the public.
– “Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati” is a new regional outreach ministry for Catholic graduate students, recent alumni and young professionals in Columbus, Starkville and West Point. Activities began in September. Details: Erica Unz, email@example.com.
CORINTH St. James Parish, mission beginning Sunday Oct. 2, at Mass. Redemptorist priests Fathers Patrick Keys and Matthew Bonk will lead the mission. The mission will end on Wednesday with a special liturgy.
GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, GermanFest, Sunday, Sept. 25, from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Advance meal tickets are $6. Details: parish office, 601-856-2054.
GREENVILLE St Joseph Parish fair, Tuesday, Sept 20, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. Fun, food (homemade spaghetti and meatballs, $10 plate), and fellowship. Details: Missi Blackstock, 662-378-9711.
HERNANDO Holy Spirit Parish, fall fish fry, Friday, Sept. 23, from 4 – 8 p.m. Plates are $10 for adults and $5 for children. Open to the public. Eat in or take out.
JACKSON Sunday, Sept. 25, campus ministry Mass, 6 p.m.
– Cathedral Fall Gala, Saturday, Nov. 12. Proceeds benefit rectory updates and repairs.
JACKSON St. Dominic’s Hospital annual Senior Wellness Fest, Friday, Sept. 23, from 9 a.m. – noon at the Mississippi Trade Mart. Details: 601-200-6698.
JACKSON St. Richard Parish, six yoga classes began on Friday, Sept. 16, from 9 – 10 a.m. in the Chichester Room. Cost is $50. Details: Claudia Addison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 601-594-3937.
– Evening with Mary, Tuesday, Oct. 11, from 6 – 8 p.m. A night for women to come together for prayer and reflection in a Marian atmosphere. Guest speaker is Joni Tyler. Details: Susan Cox, 601-366-2335.
JACKSON Christ the King Parish Senior Swingers pilgrimage/tour to Eureka Springs, Ark., to see the Passion Play of Jesus, Oct. 10-12. Details: Genevieve Feyen, 601-373-4463.
JACKSON Mission Mississippi annual Racial Reconciliation Celebration, Thursday, Sept. 29, at the Convention Complex. The event includes a summit, which begins at 9 a.m. lunch and Next Steps Workshops. Individual tickets are $150. Details: 601-353-6477, www.missionmississippi.org.
MADISON St. Francis of Assisi Parish, pet blessing, Saturday, Oct. 8, at 2 p.m. in the court yard.
– Installation of Father Albeenreddy Vatti as pastor by Bishop Joseph Kopacz and celebration of the feast of St. Francis, Sunday, Oct. 9, at the 10:30 a.m. followed by “Taste of St. Francis,” celebrating the many cultures of the parish family.
MADISON St. Joseph School’s open house, Sunday, Nov. 6 at 2 p.m. Details: Kristi Garrard, 601-898-4812.
NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, celebration of the fourth anniversary of the dedication of the O’Connor Family Life Center, Saturday, Sept. 24, Mass at 5 p.m. followed by a banquet and speaker. Special guests will be the Cathedral class of 1966.
– Assumption Parish Altar Society annual casserole sale is going now until Sept. 30. Cost are $7 (3”x 5”) pan and $12 (8”x5”) pan. Details: parish office, 601-442-7250.
SOUTHAVEN Christ the King Parish, Life Chain, a prayer event for an end to abortion, Sunday, Oct. 2, from 2 – 3 p.m. Details: Barbara Dean, 901-486-6470.
TUPELO St. James Parish, annual fair, Tuesday, Sept. 27, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. Spaghetti supper, $12 per plate; take out and eat in. Fair booths open at 6 p.m.
– Donations are needed to pay for a four-day Cursillo-type retreat for Hispanic parishioners. Organizers also need snack foods and canned drinks. Donations can be taken to the office or call 662-842-4881.
NEW ORLEANS – The Sisters of the Holy Family will celebrate their 175th anniversary with a special Mass honoring their foundress, Venerable Mere Henriette Delille, on Saturday, Nov. 19, at 10 a.m. at the motherhouse, 6901 Chef Menteur Blvd. Archbishop Gregory Aymond will be the main celebrant.
KERALA, India – Request for readers to send rosaries for needy people in India. Send donations to Father Paul Cruz, Kottiyam P.O. Kollam 691 571, Kerala, India.
Save the Date:
Matthew Kelly to speak
Catholic author and speaker Matthew Kelly will come to the Diocese of Jackson on March 11, 2017. Kelly is best known for his books “The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic” and “Rediscovering Catholicism.” He is also a leading speaker on evangelization and Catholic outreach. Organizers are still locating a venue and working out the costs and logistics for the day-long presentation.
He is also the founder of The Dynamic Catholic Institute, a Cincinnati based non-profit organization whose mission is to re-energize the Catholic Church in America by developing world-class resources that inspire people to rediscover the genius of Catholicism. Additional details will be published in upcoming editions of Mississippi Catholic.