MADISON St. Joseph School, college funding workshop, Wednesday, Jan. 14, 2015, at 6p.m. in the library. Educational Services Foundation (Get2College.org) will be the presenter. Details: Debbie Carrington, 601)898-4817, email@example.com.
SOUTHAVEN Christ the King Parish, Knights of Columbus poster contest for children eight-14 years-old. There are two age divisions eight-11 and 12-14, and two themes: alcohol awareness and abuse or drug awareness and abuse. The four winners (one each age group and each theme) will receive $25. Details: Donna Williamson. The rules are on the back of the entry forms. Deadline is Jan. 30, 2015.
- JACKSON Sister Thea Bowman School was selected as a finalist for the Daniel Rudd Fund Grant administered by the National Black Catholic Congress. The funds awarded will be used for the school’s Scholars Program, a mentoring program for upper elementary students at Sister Thea Bowman School.
- MADISON St. Anthony School’s science teacher, Vicki Moorehead, is a State Finalist for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST). The award is given on behalf of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP). Moorehead is being examined at the national level in the selection process. Lakechia Grant, from the Office of Curriculum and Instruction at the Mississippi Department of Education, presented the award to Moorehead.
COLUMBUS Annunciation, car wash on 206 Tuscaloosa Road, Saturdays, July 26, Aug. 9 and Aug. 23, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Donations welcome. Details: Floyd McIntyre, 662-574-9389.
GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish youth Mass, Sunday, Aug. 3, at 5 p.m. followed by dinner and activities.
The youth group is open to middle school (grades 7th-8th) and all high school students.
HERNANDO/OLIVE BRANCH/SOUTHAVEN All parish children should bring their school backpacks to Masses at Holy Spirit, Queen of Peace and Christ the King parishes the weekend of Aug. 9-10 for a special blessing for all students and school workers to kick off the new school year.
JACKSON Christ the King invites all 9-12th graders to a summer enrichment workshop July 30-Aug. 1 from 9 a.m. until noon in the multipurpose building. Register by Sunday, July 27, by emailing your name and grade level to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 601-948-8867.
SOUTHAVEN Christ the King Parish youth should bring their backpacks to Masses Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 9-10 for a special blessing.
GLUCKSTADT – St. Joseph Parish youth are selling raffle tickets for chances to win a $100 Kroger gift card. Tickets are one for $2, three for $5 or 10 for $10. The drawing will be held on May 4 following the youth Mass. All proceeds benefit the Summer Youth Trip.
– Youth are encouraged to sign up by April 27 for the summer trip. This trip is a celebration for the confirmation groups from the past two years, however, all participating ninth-12th grade members of the youth group are invited to attend. To sign up call 601-540-7635, or email email@example.com.
TUPELO – St. James, applications for the new St. James Ladies’ Club Scholarship are available. Deadline is April 25.
– All children and youth from preK-12th grade are invited to participate in designing a T-shirt for the parish’s 100 anniversary. All entries must be turned into the church office. Father Lincoln Dall, pastor, asked that designers use tthe Scallop of St. James on the shirts.
GREENVILLE – Students in Greenville are celebrating several athletic achievements. Reya Heyak represented St. Joseph School as a Lindy Callahan Scholar Athlete. The Lindy Callahan program recognizes students who excel in both athletics and academics. Each of the 284 recipients receives a $1,500 scholarship to the school of their choice. Heyak plays both soccer and tennis. She and the other winners were honored at a banquet in Jackson April 3.
– The Our Lady of Lourdes Archery Team came in second place in the North State Mississippi Archery Competition. The St. Joseph High School Archery team qualified and will compete in the State Tournament as well.
MADISON – St. Francis of Assisi Parish Yahweh’s Youth and Faithful Followers are encouraged to register for “Celebrate the Word” camping trip in Hot Springs, Ark., on June 13-15. Cost is $150. Registration deadline is April 30. Parent drivers and chaperones are needed. Details: Abbey Schuhmann, 601-856-5556.
SOUTHAVEN – Sacred Heart School will host guest speaker Detective Brandon Rushing of the Southaven Police Department for parents of students in grades six-eight on Tuesday, April 22, at 6:30 p.m. in the school gym. All parents of the parish are invited. Rushing will talk about internet safety, parent responsibility and liability as well as tips on monitoring children’s internet use.
– The school will host a Trivia Night on Friday, April 25, beginning at 6 p.m. Teams may have eight players per team. The cost per person is $10. Bring a team for a night of fun and fellowship while supporting the Sacred Heart School Knowledge Bowl Team. Details: Jonathon Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org