- AMORY St. Helen Parish, book discussion of “The Queen of Water” by Laura Resau, Monday, May 11, at noon.
– Faith sharing/Scripture study with Sister Mary Chris meets Sundays at 10 a.m. at the convent house.
- CLARKSDALE St. Elizabeth Parish, “Adapting to Change: Grief and Loss Training,” Wednesday, May 13, from 8:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. For nurses, social workers, educators and health ministry advocates. Led by Bob Willis, bereavement coordinator for Hospice of Oklahoma County, OK. Cost is $20 per person. Details: Ann Elizabeth Kaiser, 601-213-6378, firstname.lastname@example.org.
– “Self Care During Times of Loss,” a sculpting presentation by Rev. Bob Willis, Wednesday, May 13, from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. in the school gym. Open to the community. Light refreshments will be served.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories, discussion series on the Acts of the Apostles, Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. in the parish center.
- LEXINGTON St. Thomas, “Priest, Prophet and King,” series study by Father Robert Baron, Thursdays at 6 p.m. in the parish hall.
PARISH & FAMILY EVENTS
- BATESVILLE St. Mary Parish, Springfest on the Square, Friday and Saturday, May 15-16. Help is needed for shifts at the funnel cake booth and for clean-up duty on Sunday. Details: Parish office, 662-563-2273.
- BROOKHAVEN St. Francis Parish, Knights of Columbus barbecue chicken dinner in conjunction with the white elephant sale, Saturday, May 2, from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Take out plates are $10 each. The white elephant sale begins at 7 a.m. in the parish center.
CORINTH St. James Parish picnic, Sunday, May 3, from noon – 3:30 p.m. The festival includes, food, games, folkloric dances, a representation of the Stations of the Cross by the children and music by a group from Tennessee.
- GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, Spring Fling dance and social, Saturday, May 2, from 7 -11 p.m. Tickets are $15. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.
- GREENWOOD Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish blood drive, Monday, May 11, from 2:30 – 7 p.m. in the parish center.
- JACKSON St. Therese Parish, garage sale, Saturday, May 2, from 6 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the gym. Details: Mary Parker, 601-927-4333.
- JACKSON St. Richard Parish, Walk for Life, Saturday, May 9, beginning at 7:30 a.m. Brunch after the walk in Foley Hall. Details: 601-956-8636.
– Knights of Columbus blood drive, Sunday, May 10, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. in the bloodmobile. Free T-shirt to all donors. Details: 888-90BLOOD, www.msblood.com
– St. Richard School, new family orientation, Tuesday, May 5, at 9 a.m. in the school lobby.
- MADISON St. Francis Parish, Cajun Fest, Sunday, May 17, after the 10:30 a.m. Mass. The book booth is accepting new and gently used books of all types.
- NATCHEZ Cathedral School Crawfish Countdown, Friday, May 8, from 6 – 10 p.m. in the cafeteria and courtyard. Tickets are $100 and admit two people for an evening of fun and prizes. The grand prize is $5,000. Music by Speakeasy, featuring Cathedral alums Will Carter and Drew David. Purchase tickets online at www.cathedralgreenwave.com.
PEARL St. Jude Parish, Pentecost International Food Festival, Saturday, May 16. Details: Matthew Polk, 601-906-9478.
- STARKVILLE Mississippi State University, Kinsey African-American Collection at the Mitchell Memorial Library until June 20 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. It is one of the world’s largest private collections of African-American art, documents and artifacts.
- TUPELO St. James Parish, visit of the Guatemalan Consulate, Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17. Appointment is not necessary.
- VICKSBURG St. Paul Parish, “Adapting to Change: Grief and Loss Training,” Monday, May 11, from 8:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. For nurses, social workers, educators and health ministry advocates. Led by Bob Willis, bereavement coordinator for Hospice of Oklahoma County, OK. Details: Ann Elizabeth Kaiser, 601-213-6378, email@example.com.
- YAZOO CITY St. Mary Parish, spring crafts, flea market and garage sale, Saturday, May 2, under the gym from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. This is a fund-raiser for the religious education program. Hamburgers, chips, and cookies will be sold.
– Crowning of Mary in the garden, Sunday, May 3, at 9 a.m. in the courtyard. Parishioners are invited for breakfast, crowning of Mary and to pray the rosary.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOLS
- Clarksdale St. Elizabeth, June 8-12 from 8 a.m. – noon p.m. for children ages pre-K 3 (completed) through fifth grade (entering). Details: Sarah Cauthen,662- 645-6260, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gluckstadt St. Joseph, Monday-Wednesday, June 15-17. Details: Karen Worrell, 601-672-5817, email@example.com.
- Greenville St. Joseph, July 13-16. Details: Mary Ann, 662-335-5251.
- Greenville Sacred Heart, June 8-12, 8:30 a.m. – noon.
- Grenada St. Peter, “Cool Kingdom Party: Mary leads us closer to Christ,” May 31-June 4, from 6 – 8:30 p.m. for children ages four-11.
- Hernando Holy Spirit, June 1-5, from 9 a.m. – noon. Details: Andrea Ludwig, 662-404-0376.
- Jackson St. Richard, “Everest,” June 1-4, from 9 a.m. – noon. Details: Kim Turner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jackson St. Therese, “Win the World for Jesus,” June 8-12, from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Madison St. Francis, “Godz Werkus Circus,” June 22-26, for 3-year-olds-fourth-graders. Details: Mary Catherine George, 601-856-5556 ext. 118, email@example.com.
- McComb St. Alphonsus, June 8-12.
- Natchez St. Mary Basilica, June 1-5, in the Family Life Center for children ages four and up.
- Pearl St. Jude, “Playing for God’s Team!,” June 1-5 from 9 a.m. – noon, for ages three through 12 years. Cost is $5 per child, $15 per family.
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER
- JACKSON Thursday, May 7, from noon – 1 p.m. on the south steps of the Capitol in downtown Jackson.
- COLUMBUS, Thursday, May 7, at noon at the Lowndes County Courthouse. Shuttle service from Farmers’ Market
- Sondra Powell is president of the Carmelite Secular community in Jackson, known as St. Joseph and St. Therese of Lisieux Carmelite Seculars (OCDS). The April 17 edition of Mississippi Catholic listed the wrong person. in a story about the June 6 Mass to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the birth of St. Teresa of Avila. We regret the error.