- AMORY St. Helen women parishioners are invited to participate in the Women’s Retreat at Sacred Heart Monastery in Cullman, Ala., Feb. 20-22. Details: Carlos Ann Sanders, 662-315-4022.
– The Scripture class on Parables continues on Wednesdays, from 6 – 7 p.m.
- BATESVILLE St. Mary Parish, Lenten mission, March 2-4. Led by the Redemptorist priests serving in Greenwood.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories, ladies’ Bible study group, Tuesday, Feb. 17, at 6 p.m. at the parish center. Discussion of the book, “Longing for the Holy.” Details: Jamey Gainspoletti, 662-719-6802, or Cathy Shivers, 588-0216.
- GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, adult education class, eight-week study of “Oremus” on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. in room 106. The program teaches the essentials of an effective and fruitful prayer life.
- GREENVILLE St. Joseph Parish mission on Feb. 22-24. Led by Michael Cumbie. Reconciliation service on Tuesday after the mission.
- GREENWOOD Locus Benedictus Retreat Center, retreat, “Mary in the Mystery of Christ and the Church,” Saturday, March 7, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Led by Brother Daniel Korn, C.Ss.R. Cost is $25 and includes lunch. Send payment to: Locus Benedictus, P. O. Box 9791, Greenwood, MS 38930. Details: Magdalene Abraham, 662-299-1232.
- JACKSON St. Richard Parish, “Coffee and Creed,” Sundays from 9:15-10:15 a.m. DVD presentation and discussion of a directed study from the Augustine Institute in Colorado.
- MERIDIAN St. Patrick Parish, six-week program on the exhortation of the call to holiness, Mondays from 10:30-11:45 a.m. Led by Mary Billups. Cost for materials is $10. Details: 601-693-1321, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MOBILE, Ala., Liturgy and luncheon for single women 17-35 who are considering a religious vocation or who want to learn more about the consecrated religious life, Saturday Feb. 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with option for full weekend stay. There is no charge for the program. Details: RSVP by Feb. 18 to Sister Carolyn at email@example.com or call 251-591-3700. Little Sisters of the Poor, 1655 McGill Ave., Mobile AL 36604.
- NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, celebration of the “World Day of the Sick” Wednesday, Feb. 11, with an anointing Mass, at 11 a.m. followed by lunch in St. Therese Hall.
– There will be no anointing Mass at Assumption Church in February.
PARISH & FAMILY EVENTS
- CAMDEN Sacred Heart Parish, celebration of Black History Month, Sundays in February at the 9 a.m. Mass.
- CLARKSDALE Immaculate Conception Parish, celebration of the golden jubilees of Sisters Maureen Delaney, SNJM, and Teresa Shields, SNJM, Sunday, Feb. 8, at the 8:30 a.m. Mass. Bishops Joseph Kopacz and William Houck will participate in the celebration. A reception will follow.
- GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, bingo night, Friday, Feb. 13, at 6 p.m. sponsored by the youth group.
- GREENVILLE Sacred Heart Parish annual Black History Program, Sunday, Feb. 22 at 3 p.m. Details: Stephanie Brooks.
- GREENVILLE St. Joseph School, Spring Fling, “Denim and Diamonds,” Saturday, Feb. 14, from 6 p.m. – midnight at the Washington County Convention Center. Tickets are $100 and admit two people. Volunteers are needed.
- GREENWOOD St. Francis Parish, Mardi Gras Ball, Saturday, Feb. 7, from 8 p.m. – 1 a.m. at Leflore County Civic Center. Featuring “The Sensations Dance Band” from Memphis. Tickets are $30, which includes a Taste of New Orleans buffet.
- JACKSON St. Mary Parish, CWA “Sweetheart Sale,” Sunday, Feb. 7, after the 11 a.m. Mass.
- JACKSON St. Richard Parish, bereavement support group presentation, “A Therapeutic Heart,” Thursday, Feb. 12, at 6:30 p.m. Led by Pam Wirtz, St. Richard parishioner and professional counselor. Details: Nancy McGhee, 601-942-2078, firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Watercolor workshop, Feb. 9-11, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in Glynn Hall. Cost is $200. Details: Addie Louis, 601-940-0572.
– Supper & Sustance, Saturday, Feb. 14, beginninga at 6 p.m. in Foley Hall. Cost is $65 per couple. Reservations are required. Details: Debbie Tubertini, 601- -366-2335, ext. 107, email@example.com.
- JACKSON Christ the King Parish needs photos for the 70th anniversary display.
- McCOMB St. Alphonsus Parish, training for present and future lectors and commentator, Saturday, Feb. 7, at 10 a.m.
– To lead a small group or participate in the Lenten program “Living the Eucharist” contact Mary Billups.
- NATCHEZ Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 7-8, blessing of throats at the end of each Mass at St. Mary and Assumption parishes in observance of St. Blaise feast.
– St. Mary Basilica, party honoring parishioners 65+ years of age, Saturday, Feb. 14, from 1 – 3:30 p.m. in St. Therese Hall. Entertainment, lunch, bingo, and prizes. Details: Charlene Rushing, 601-431-9127, or the church office, 601-445-5616.
- PEARL St. Jude Parish, kick-off of the Lenten program “Living the Eucharist” Sunday, Feb. 15, at 5:45 p.m. at the Rosary Garden. Refreshments will be served afterward in the parish hall. Parishioners of all ages are invited to attend. Small groups will begin meeting the week of Feb. 16-22.
- SHAW St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Mardi Gras party, Tuesday, Feb. 17, at 6:30 p.m. for parishioners and in thanksgiving for those who helped with the spaghetti dinner.
- MILWAUKEE, Wis. – School Sister of St. Francis Helen Pisors (de Porres), 88, who lived her religious vocation in education, died Dec. 30, 2014, at Sacred Heart Convent in Milwaukee. Beginning in 1947, Sister Pisors ministered in Mississippi, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Colombia for nearly seven decades. In the Diocese of Jackson, she taught at CADET School in Holly Springs (1969-1980 and 1990-1995), and at Holy Family School in Holly Springs (1995-1998).
She also served in the ministry of prayer and presence (1998-2003) and as a volunteer (2003-2006) at a local convent in Walls. A Mass of Christian Burial for Sister Pisors was celebrated Jan. 7, at St. Joseph Convent, Milwaukee. Interment was at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Milwaukee.