- BROOKSVILLE The Dwelling Place, “The Joy of Coming Home,” Saturday, Sept. 13, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Led by Karen Hodges and Lee Oswalt. Cost is $45. Details: 662-738-5348.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories Parish women’s Bible study, “Longing for the Holy,” Tuesday, Sept. 9, 6 p.m. The books are $10, available at the parish office. Details: Jamey Gainspoletti, 662-843-6684
- JACKSON St. Richard Parish, Scripture study, “The Journey of the Spiritual Hero: Abraham, Joseph, and Moses, Tuesdays, Sept. 2, 9, and 16, 9:30 – 11 a.m. in Chichester Room. Led by Mary Louise Jones.
- – First Friday rosary beginning Sept. 5 at 2:30 p.m.
- MADISON St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Spirituality Series, “The Other Side of Chaos: Breaking Through When Life is Breaking Down, starts Monday, Sept. 8, at 6:30 p.m. in the library. Details: Melissa Smalley, 601-209-4724, email@example.com.
- “Coffee and Creed,” Sundays beginning Sept. 14, from 9 – 10:15 a.m.
- – MERIDIAN St. Patrick Parish, new Mass in Spanish every Wednesday, 5 p.m. in St. Aloysius Chapel.
- – “Silver Rose” bilingual program, Sunday, Sept. 7, 4:30 p.m. at St. Joseph Church. A ceremony honoring Our Lady of Guadalupe as the Patroness of the Americas and of the unborn, led by the Knights of Columbus, consists of scripture readings, the rosary, the litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary and other short prayers.
- – “Resolving Everyday Conflict,” eight-week study, Wednesdays, 6 p.m. in the Parish Center. Cost of booklet is $15. Details: Mary Billups, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, “Come and See,” Thursdays, Sept. 18, and Sept. 25, 6 p.m. in the church. Designed to answer general questions and offer an overall insight into the Catholic faith. Babysitting will be available. Details: parish office, 601 445-5616.
- PEARL St. Jude Parish, spiritual journey workshops for women, Saturday, Sept. 27. Led by Celeste Zepponi. The morning workshop is free. The cost of the afternoon art workshop is $25 per person. For time and registration call the parish office, 601-9393181.
- TUPELO St. James Parish mission, Sunday-Tuesday, Sept. 7-9. Father Burke Masters will speak about Pope Francis’ “Joy of the Gospel.” Light dinner at 6 p.m. followed by talks at 7 p.m. Brown bag luncheon sessions on Monday and Tuesday at noon in Mary’s Room. Registration required. Details: 662-842-4881.
- – Tuesday faith enrichment group begins Sept. 16, 10 a.m. in Mary’s Room. This semester will feature Pope Francis’ “Joy of the Gospel.”
PARISH AND FAMILY EVENTS
- CLARKSDALE St. Elizabeth Parish fair, Tuesday, Sept. 23. Items needed for smaller booths. To volunteer contact Lisa Chicorelli, 662-645-0398.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories Parish Sunday school movie matinee, “Frozen,” Sunday, Sept. 7, at 2 p.m. Snacks and drinks provided. Friends are welcome.
- – The Catholic Student Association meets on Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. inside the Delta State University Union, Room 302-A. Free meals are provided.
- – The Evangelization Committee is looking for volunteers to help with the parish webpage and the church foyer bulletin board. Details: Brooks Rizzo, 662-719-8364.
- GLUCKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, German dessert preparation class Saturday, Sept. 6, at 9 a.m. in the parish hall. (See page 6 for Germanfest’s story)
- GREENWOOD Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, pancake breakfast, Sunday, Sept. 14, at 10 a.m.
- GREENVILLE St. Joseph 100th anniversary of the parish fair, Tuesday, Sept. 16. Dinner and auctions on Monday, Sept. 15. (See page 6 for details of the celebration)
- GREENVILLE Sacred Heart Parish, Autumn Feast Dinner, Sunday, Nov. 9. Plates are $10.
- HERNANDO Holy Spirit Parish, Celine’s Closet, a booth of gently used women’s clothing, is returning to the parish bazaar this year. The event is set for Saturday, Sept. 20, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Donations of clean clothes are needed. No jeans, T-shirts etc.
- JACKSON – U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services overview of the Green Card, naturalization process, unauthorized practice of Immigration Law (UPIL) and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Friday, Sept. 19, at 2 p.m. at Catholic Charities of Jackson, 200 N. Congress Street, 2nd Floor. RSVP, 601-948-2635, Teresita.Turner@ccjackson.org
- LELAND St. James Parish annual Fall Bazaar, Tuesday, Sept. 30, on the parish grounds. Spaghetti and meatballs will be served at 5:30 p.m. Plates are $10. Booths open at 6 p.m. Raffle tickets on sale at the event.
- MADISON St. Joseph School competition with St. Andrew’s Episcopal School in “Food for Families” during the week of Sept. 8. Last year, students collected more than 8,000 cans. It won the competition and also won the third-highest overall total in the Jackson area.
- MERIDIAN St. Patrick Parish Book Club meets Monday, Sept. 8, at 10:30 a.m. in the parish center. Details: Kathy Foley, 601-482-0804, or Pat Risch, 601-485-4350.
- NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica Grief and Loss Support Group resumes Monday, Sept. 8, at 6 p.m. in the Family Life Center. Details: Donna Martello, 601-442-7554, email@example.com.
- – The youth of the parish are selling St. Mary “blue jean” T-shirts for $15 at the Family Life Center during Wednesday night dinners, after Masses and in the parish office. Proceeds benefit youth activities.
- – The children’s choir will sing at the 5 p.m. Saturday Vigil Mass on Sept. 20.
- SOUTHAVEN Christ the King Parish youth visit to the Golden Living Nursing Home on Saturday, Sept. 6, 1:30 p.m. Parishioners are encouraged to join the youth.
- – All women of the parish are invited to Our Lady’s Group monthly meeting on Saturday, Sept. 13, at 10 a.m.
- – Sacred Heart School, “Parent & Child Circle Time” for three and four-year-olds to promote early literacy. To participate RSVP by Friday, Sept. 12, firstname.lastname@example.org, 662 342-0900.
- TUPELO St. James Parish will no longer have daily Masses on Mondays, as of Sept. 15. There will be daily Masses on Tuesday through Friday.
- – Happy Hearts first gathering, Friday, Sept 12, in Shelton Hall after the 12:10 p.m. anointing Mass. Robin Haire, from Haire Wealth Management, will present a program on current financial futures, and interest rates.
- – Ladies’ rummage sale seeks donations prior to Saturday, Nov. 8. Details: Kathy Weatherford, 601-322-2556.
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – School Sister of St. Francis, Mary Louise Reinke (Augusta) died Aug. 19, at Our Lady of the Angels Convent. She was 87 years old.
Beginning in 1948, Sister Reinke ministered in Mississippi, Illinois, and Wisconsin for more than six decades. In the Diocese of Jackson she served as principal at St. Francis School in Yazoo City (1965-1966); as a reading consultant at Christ the King School in Jackson (1966-1969) and for the Diocese of Jackson (1969-1970 and 1971-1973); taught at St. Joseph High School in Jackson (1970-1971); served as director of St. Francis Head Start in Yazoo City (1973-1975); and as Head Start program director for Yazoo Community Action in Yazoo City (1975-1998).
A Mass of Christian burial was celebrated Aug. 27 at St. Joseph Convent in Milwaukee. Interment was at Mount Olivet Cemetery. Sister Mary Louise is survived by her nieces and nephews; cousins and friends.