First ever St. Rose of Lima reunion held GREENVILLE — The St. Rose of Lima School alumni held their “first ever” school reunion Oct. 10-12. Alumni, many of whom now actively support the St. Joseph School system, comprised the graduating classes between 1933 and 1962.
Close to 100 alumni and spouses came in Friday, Oct. 10, to attend the St. Joseph High School homecoming football game. A huge tent erected on the school grounds with a large banner welcomed them to a tailgate party.
On Saturday, alumni visited with friends and relatives before arriving at the parish hall next to the church for a “happy hour” at 5 p.m.. The parish hall sits on the exact location of the old three story building used for St. Rose of Lima School.
At 6 p.m. the program began with stories from the past and letters from some of the Sisters of Mercy who taught at the school. A catfish dinner was served at 7 p.m. followed by entertainment from a choral group from the high school and a talk by Father Howard (Whitey) Johnson, an alumnus of St. Rose.
The parish hall was decorated in part with large (2 x 3 foot) photographs of past graduating classes and memorable events at St. Rose. One photo depicted the entire school assembly in front of the church circa 1913-1914.
The evening concluded with the establishment of a Trust Fund set up in honor of the Sisters of Mercy who began teaching at St. Rose of Lima in 1888. The fund will assist families in need of financial aid.
On Sunday morning, the alumni attended the 8 a.m. Mass in St. Joseph Church celebrated by Father Richard Somers, pastor, and alumnus Father Johnson.