PARISH, SCHOOL & FAMILY EVENTS
BATESVILLE St. Mary Parish, Springfest on the Square, Friday and Saturday, May 13-14. Help will be needed for shifts at the parish’s annual funnel cake booth and for clean-up duty on Sunday.
BROOKHAVEN St. Francis Parish, the health walk and breakfast on Fridays following the 7:15 a.m. Mass in the parish center has resumed.
BROOKSVILLE The Dwelling Place, drawdown, Friday, May 13, from 7 – 10 p.m. at Lee Home in Columbus. Entertainment by The Shane Tubb Band. Tickets are $100 and admit two for the grand prize of $2,500. Details: 662-738-5348, www.dwellingplace.com.
CLARKSDALE St. Elizabeth Parish, rogation days this year are May 1-4. If you would like your vegetable garden or farmland blessed, contact Father Scott Thomas, pastor, to set up an appointment.
– Immaculate Conception Parish, after school spiritual and educational enrichment camp, May 3-5 and May 9-12, from 4 – 6 p.m. for youth ages five-14 years old. Instructors will be Dr. Jyothi Gupta and Dave Chapman along with graduate students from St. Catherine University, St. Paul, Minnesota.
GREENVILLE Sacred Heart Parish, Mission Mississippi breakfast and prayer service, Tuesday, May 3, at 7 a.m.
– Parish picnic, Sunday, June 5, at 1 p.m. to welcome the sisters from Techny, Ill., who will run the vacation Bible school June 6-10.
GREENWOOD – St. Francis Parish, combined Mass, followed by a town hall meeting and picnic, Sunday, May 22. And update on the Family Life Center will be given at that time.
– Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, there will be no 9 a.m. Mass on Sunday, May 15. There will be Mass and a parish picnic at Pop’s Place, on the outskirts of Greenwood.
GRENADA St. Peter Parish, reception for graduates, First Communicants and mothers, Sunday, May 8, after the 9 a.m. Mass.
HERNANDO Holy Spirit Parish, dinner theater, “Murder can be habit forming,” Saturday, May 7, at 7 p.m. in the Family Life Center. Tickets are $10 per person, childcare, $5, includes pizza and movie.
– Deadline to sign up for the annual men and women’s retreat (open to all high school students) is Sunday, May 15. Meeting with participants and their parents, Wednesday, May 25, at 6:30 p.m.
JACKSON Carmelite art show and sale, Tuesday, May 10, beginning at 6 p.m. at Interiors Market on Duling Street in Fondren area. It will feature selected art from the archives of the late Sister Muriel Ludden and the sisters of the monastery. The booth display will be up for a month. Proceeds benefit the preservation and restoration of the monastery.
JACKSON Holy Family Parish, Vacation Bible School June 14-16.
JACKSON St. Peter Cathedral, Mother’s Day breakfast, Sunday, May 8, from 9 – 10:30 a.m.
– Special 10:30 a.m. Mass and burning of the note for the renovation of the cathedral, Sunday, May 15. A reception will follow.
JACKSON St. Therese Parish, Pentecost Sunday celebration, Sunday, May 15, one bilingual Mass at 11 a.m. followed by a potluck dinner.
JACKSON St. Richard Parish, May crowning and first Friday rosary, Friday, May 6, at 9 a.m.
– Flight to the Finish, 5-K or one mile fun run, Saturday, May 7, hosted by the Cardinal Men’s Club.
– St. Richard Night at Trustmark Park with the Mississippi Braves, Friday, May 13. Tickets are $9 and can be purchased through St. Richard School. The first 500 children younger than 14 receive a free backpack. The night will end with fireworks.
MADISON St. Joseph School, Bruin Classic Golf Tournament, Friday, June 3, at the Canton Country Club, beginning with lunch at 11:30 a.m. and ending with the presentation of prizes at 6 p.m.
MADISON St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Cajun Fest, Sunday, May 15, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. Donations for the General Store are needed. Items can be dropped off Monday-Friday at the Social Concerns Office.
Pentecost Sunday in Natchez
During the tri-centennial celebration in Natchez this year which represents the history of Catholicism in Natchez over the years, St. Mary Basilica will host a series of Catholic heritage tours of Catholic sites in Natchez, a liturgical celebration of Pentecost on May 15 and Lessons & Carols in December.
The principal celebrant for the Pentecost celebration will be Bishop Joseph Kopacz. The St. Mary choir under the direction of Dr. Doherty will provide the music. Before the entrance procession there will be a proclamation of the Pentecost event from the Acts of the Apostles. The entrance procession will include, in addition to the normal liturgical roles, a series of banners symbolizing the coming of the Holy Spirit. Children and youth groups will also have a part in the celebration.
A light reception will follow in the Family Life Center. In mid-afternoon the parish will host an open house to showcase some aspects of the history of Catholicism in Southwest Mississippi.
Photos needed for special edition
Mississippi Catholic is again planning to produce a “Spring Sacraments” issue featuring First Communion and Confirmation photos from across the diocese. Our hope is to get as many parishes as possible to participate. Please email your photos and captions to email@example.com, by the end of May.
We need high-resolution photos (this usually means from a camera as opposed to a phone or tablet), the parish name, date and time of the sacrament and the names of your Communicants and Confirmandi. If you have a huge group, we may not be able to list all the names, but we will try. We only allow posed photos in this and the graduation issue. Details: Maureen Smith, 601-969-3581.
Pastoral ministries workshop
Pastoral Ministries Workshop, June 5-9 at Lake Tiak O’Khata for all lay ministers of the church: DREs/CREs, catechists, LEMs, youth ministers and pastoral ministers.
(See related story on page 7)
Steve Azar Delta Soul
GREENVILLE 2016 Delta Soul Celebrity Golf and Charity event, June 9-11.
Catholic Radio Station
Jackson has a new Catholic radio station, 107.9 FM, WJXC. Details: P. O. Box 43, Terry, MS 39170, firstname.lastname@example.org.