- BATESVILLE/SARDIS St. Mary and St. John parishes, Bishop Joseph Kopacz will celebrate the 9, 10:30 a.m. and the 5 p.m. Masses on Sunday, Feb. 1.
- BOONEVILLE St. Francis of Asissi Parish, Holy Hour, Wednesdays from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- CLARKSDALE St. Elizabeth Parish, “An Introduction to the Theology of the Body: Discovering the Master Plan for Your Life,” Tuesday, Feb. 3, at 6 p.m. in McKenna Hall preceded by a light dinner. Replay on Wednesday, Feb. 4, at 12:10 p.m. in the rectory.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories, parish mission, “The Beauty of Catholicism,” Sunday-Tuesday, Feb. 8-10, at 6:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. Led by Michael Cumbie. A nursery will be provided. Details: 662-846-6273.
- CORINTH St. James Parish, novena/prayer service for an end to abortion during Holy Hour/adoration time, Sunday, Jan. 25, at 4 p.m.
- GLUKSTADT St. Joseph Parish, Bible Timeline Series, Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Wednesdays at 10 a.m. in Heritage Hall. Details: parish office, 601-856-2054.
- HATTIESBURG “Fire From Heaven,” Charismatic Catholic retreat sponsored by the University of Southern Mississippi Catholic Student Association, Feb. 6-8 at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church, 3117 West 4th Street. Led by Father Mark Goring, Pauline Brazil and Jay Flunker. Details: Jonna van Thiel, 601-450-2520.
- JACKSON St. Peter Cathedral, Lenten retreat and anointing service, Saturday, March 14.
- JACKSON St. Richard Parish, “Old Testament: God’s Revelation,” class sponsored by the diocesan Office of Faith Formation, twice a month on Thursdays from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Next class is on Jan. 29. Cost is $20. Details: email@example.com.
- McCOMB St. Alphonsus Parish, Pro-Life day of reflection and prayer, Saturday, Jan. 24, from 8:15 a.m. – 2:15 p.m. Led by Catholic apologist Jim Seghers. Babysitting available.
- NATCHEZ Assumption Parish, Bible study on the Gospel of Matthew on Fridays in Tuite Hall after the 8 a.m. Mass. Led by Roseminette Gaude.
- NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, a half-day Model for Healthy Living retreat, Saturday, Feb. 28, in the O’Connor Family Life Center. Starts with breakfast at 8 a.m. and ends at 12:15 p.m. Details: Ann Elizabeth Kaiser, 601-213-6378, firstname.lastname@example.org.
PARISH & FAMILY EVENTS
- AMORY St. Helen Parish, spaghetti lunch sponsored by the junior and senior high youth, Sunday, Feb. 1, at the parish hall after Mass. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children, with a maximum of $25 per family.
Discussion of the book, “Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands,” by Chris Bohjalian, Monday, Feb. 16, at noon.
- CHATAWA St. Teresa Parish, decorated Christmas tree and two wreaths for sale, on display in the front entrance of the sisters residence building. Details: Sister Helene Robin, 601-730-5458.
- CLARKSDALE St. Elizabeth School drawdown, Friday, Feb. 13, from 7:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m. at The Bank! Tickets are $100, admitting two people for food, music, and access to the silent auction.
– School open house, Tuesday, Jan. 27, at 5:30 p.m.
- CLEVELAND Our Lady of Victories Parish, weekly Sunday Mass in Spanish is moving from St. Mary, Shelby, beginning on Feb. 22, at 11: 30 a.m. Bishop Joseph Kopacz will join this Mass on March 1.
- COLUMBUS Annunciation School, open house for prospective families, Saturday, Jan. 21, from 10 a.m. – noon.
– Pancake breakfast, Sunday, Jan. 25, at 8:45 a.m. at Annunciation Parish.
– Mardi Gras party and $10,000 drawdown, Saturday, Feb. 7, at 7 p.m. at Trotter Convention Center. Tickets are $100 and admits two adults. Details: Parish office, 662-328-2927.
- GRENADA St. Peter Parish, blood drive, Sunday, Jan. 25, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- HERNANDO Holy Spirit Parish, celebration of the feast of the Presentation/Candlemas Day, Jan. 31-Feb. 1. Candles will be blessed at all the Masses. The celebration will begin in a gathering space followed by a candlelight entrance procession into the church proper.
– The youth will collect monetary donations for the city food pantry after all Masses Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 31-Feb. 1. Checks can be made out to Interfaith.
- JACKSON St. Peter Cathedral, presentation of Bishop Chanche Awards, Saturday, Feb. 21, at 10:30 a.m. Honorees will be announced soon.
- JACKSON St. Therese Parish, spaghetti dinner and movie fund-raiser, Saturday, Jan. 24, at 5 p.m. “Heaven is for Real” will be shown.
- JACKSON Sister Thea Bowman School students will lead music at Christ the King Parish 9 a.m. Mass Sunday, Jan. 25, as part of Catholic School Week.
- JACKSON Knights of Peter Claver, Ladies Auxiliary Court #199, annual Mardi Gras Ball, Saturday, Feb. 7, at the Regency Hotel.
- MADISON St. Joseph School, drawdown, “Jeans, Jazz & Bruin Blues” Saturday, Feb. 7. Tickets and sponsorships are now available. Tickets are $125 and admits two. Details: Office of Advancement, 601-898-4803.
– Save the date for “Thea’s Turn,” Friday-Saturday, April 10-11, at 7 p.m. and Sunday, April 12, at 2 p.m. at the Performing Arts Center. A drama based on the life of Sister Thea Bowman.
- MADISON St. Francis of Assisi Parish, “Celebration of Light” event, Saturday, Jan. 31, at 7 p.m. in the Family Life Center. Admission is $10. Benefits Mississippi Children’s Home Services.
- McCOMB St. Alphonsus Parish, Knights of Columbus soup cook-off and bingo, Saturday, Jan. 24, from 5 – 7 p.m. in Liguori Hall. Fun for all ages. Cost is $5 per person.
MERIDIAN St. Patrick, Our Lady of Fatima Sodality meeting, Tuesday, Feb. 17, at 6 p.m. Theme, “Women in the Acts of the Apostles,” led by Sister Marilyn.
- NATCHEZ St. Mary Basilica, World Marriage Day celebration, Wednesday, Feb. 11, during dinner in the O’Connor Family Life Center.
- PEARL St. Jude Parish, Mardi Gras Ball, Saturday, Feb. 7, from 7 – 11 p.m. Ticket are $10 singles, $15 couples, and $25 families. Proceeds benefit St. Jude Young Apostles.
– Chicken plates on sale for the Super Bowl for $12 per plate after all Masses Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 24-25. Sponsored by Council 8038 of the Knights of Columbus. Proceeds to benefit Coats for Kids and seminarian education
- SOUTHAVEN Area parishes will celebrate Scouting Sunday on Feb. 8. At the 8 a.m. Mass at Good Shepherd, the 10 a.m. Mass at Christ the King, the 10:30 a.m. Masses at Holy Spirit and Queen of Peace. All Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts are invited to come in uniform.
- JACKSON Fifth Annual Catholic Day at the Capitol, Wednesday, Feb. 4. Begins with Mass at 12:05 p.m. at the Cathedral of St. Peter the Apostle with lunch immediately following in the parish hall. Both Bishop Kopacz and Bishop Roger Morin will speak. Catholic legislators will be honored. Details: to register, visit www.mscatholicday.com or call Michael Thomas, 601-331-1152, at Catholic Charities.
- JACKSON Catholic Charities “Savor the Flavor” Thursday, Feb. 20, from 6 – 10 p.m. at Hal&Mal’s. Admission is $25. Benefits the Migrant Support Center of Catholic Charities Jackson. Taste food from several restaurants, enjoy live music. Cash bar. Details: www.catholicharitiesjackson.